Thursday, June 02, 2011

Gallery 1988 celebrates 10 years of "Wet Hot American Summer"

I loved the Mtv show "The State" when I was a teenager. The show lasted 3 seasons with a total of 26 hilarious episodes, with great characters like Louie who wanted to dip his balls in everything, Doug, who was outta heerrrreeee, old fashioned guy, and this gem:

Well, 10 years ago, these guys decided to make a movie. Wet Hot American Summer is a comedy that is sitting at a cool 30% freshness rating on Rottentomatoes.com. I wasn't even aware of the movie until Gallery 1988 asked if I was interested in being part of the gallery show celebrating it's 10 year status as a cult classic. Once I googled it and found out it was the guys from The State I was in.

Having never been to camp (aside from a horrific weeklong trip to "outdoor school" in 5th grade), It was hard for me to relate to a movie about camp life in the 1980's. What wasn't hard to relate to were some pretty funny characters, in particular Keith Stat from Millburn, New Jersey who really only had this little bit part in the film:

So for the show I decided to illustrate my tribute to camp nerds everywhere who loved D&D and a good ol' fashioned home-made cape.



So if you have $240 worth of pudding, be sure to head down to Gallery 1988's Venice Gallery.

No comments: